- This event has passed.
Silver Skate Festival
February 7 @ 9:00 am - February 17 @ 10:00 pmFree – $150
The Silver Skate Festival is a 10-day, family-oriented festival in Edmonton’s scenic river valley. Rooted in Dutch winter traditions, the festival combines sport (especially skating), arts and culture, and recreation. Celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2020, the Silver Skate Festival is the longest running winter festival in Edmonton. Over the years, it has grown in leaps and bounds, from a small skating event to a large-scale, winter extravaganza.
Each year, the festival transforms Hawrelak Park into a winter wonderland with fun for the entire family. Here, you’ll discover breathtaking snow sculpture, winter sports, and horse-drawn sleighs carrying families through the park. Sit in a Cree Winter Camp and cook bannock over an open fire. Compete in the Winter triathlon or speed skating events. Take in live music and theatrical performances with your friends and loved ones. Our festival activities are as diverse as the people who call our Northern community home.
Things To Do:
1.Have fun filled weekends with the free family fun activities like sleigh rides, face painting and more!
2. See the wonderful sculptures created during the festival.
3. Participate or cheer the participants of Edmonton Winter Triathlon , Marathon Skate Races or the Kortebaan Races.
4. Enjoy the Fire Sculpture. Each day features a different team of artists and each day presents a different interpretation of the story.
5. Be entertained during the Folk Trail in the park with dance, musical performances and spectacles of light.
6. Celebrate Edmonton’s rich culture at the Heritage village. There will be music, entertainment, Dog sledding, Blacksmith demonstrations, and Aboriginal culture and traditions showcase.
7. Have romantic day out during Valentine’s Day week!
8. Enjoy the best of Canadian and international cinema with winter, alpine, and polar themes of any genre and style for all audiences.
9. Join for long table dinner.
10. Taste the best of Edmonton dining scene during the culinary competition between four of Edmonton’s neighbourhoods popular food and drink establishments.
11. See a movie outdoors on a snow screen at the International Festival of Winter Cinema
12.Go on Sleigh Rides through picturesque Hawrelak Park.
13. Join for Castles, Kegs & Casks, a fundraiser for the Festival.
14. Enjoy food and drink inside the heated tent where live music will be performed, or outdoors in a snow-walled courtyard with fire pits for those who wish to enjoy their food and drinks outside during Spirits On Ice.